Thursday, May 12, 2011

Cerebral Nap

I've noticed that, every once in a while, affirmation and praise come in waves. Never huge waves, but nice-sized, noticeable and ego-satisfying waves. Thank goodness for those times! At other times, though, kudos come in dribs and drabs.

During those times, I -- a self-professed praise junkie -- take positive input from wherever I can get it. I'm not picky.

Like Netflix. Yeah, I know! Who'da thunk it? It's funny how this organization REALLY knows me and recognizes my intelligence, wisdom and curiosity about the world. And Netflix TELLS me.

Lately, I've been using Netflix. Not so much to get movies through the mail, the company's claim to fame. But more to instantly stream movies and shows to watch at home at that very second. It's kinda nice. However, the choices are limited. Not by number available -- there are zillions -- but by quality. (Streaming Netflix movies can often be a vast wasteland.)

As customers watch movies, Netflix patterns viewing habits and makes suggestions of other movies that might be of interest.

I'm flattered to see that my viewing habits have aroused a Netflix category of suggestions entitled "Cerebral TV Documentaries." Ahh ... doesn't that have a nice -- and accurate -- ring to it? Sounds so good, I have to say it again, "Cerebral TV Documentaries."

O.k. The truth is I'm only interested in ... maybe ... 10% of the recommendations. Some of them are just too too for me. You know, too sad, too maddening, too ooky, too scary, too boring, too hot, too cold.


(The one I just watched yesterday, Ballerina [about the training and life of dancers in the Mariinsky Ballet, known to many as the Kirov] was just right.)

There's another good thing I've discovered about these documentaries. They're perfect for napping. Start them, enjoy them a little bit and then fall asleep. That might just happen right now as I've just started a documentary about Martin Luther. I was interested cerebrally zzzzzzz.




*I must give credit where credit is due: My mom and husband are both very good at sharing their appreciation of me, just as I am. At times, my kids come through too! And I've got lots of wonderful people in my life who take the time to share their appreciation. I'm really very lucky and I know it. I'm VERY thankful! And my goal is to let others about their specialness whenever I can.

1 comment:

  1. We too are netflix streaming junkies. Sam uses them in much the same way, to inspire sleep. See any good ones, past along the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete