Sunday, May 27, 2012

"What you don't see with your eyes, don't witness with your mouth." -- Jewish Proverb


I know that proverb doesn't refer directly to politics. But I wish it could become the motto for the 2012 election. Or perhaps variations of it, like ...

"What you don't know for a fact, don't state as a fact."
"What you know is your opinion, don't state as a fact."
"What you know is loaded language that will incite rather than inform, don't speak."
"Unless your thesis sheds light on the situation, keep it as entertainment for cocktail parties."

It seems to me that almost everyone involved in the election is more interested in heat than light. And it's true for both Republicans and Democrats. It makes me crazy.

While I realize that getting votes is much more important to elections that representing the people, I am deeply saddened that it is becoming more and more obvious that our needs come second. And that we, as voters, constituents and Americans, allow it to happen.

I wish we could say "STOP! Don't tell me anything unless you define it as your opinion, or a statistic with source, or a fact with source. I don't want to hear any more BS dressed up as political discussion."

What I think is happening is that we stop asking for substance when we start hearing strong views that fit our own fledgling beliefs. The stronger the language, the more it supports and strengthens our own ideas. I wonder if it gives us "permission" to believe without having to do our homework. Sort of a "that's a ballsy thing to say, so it must be true."

However, that kind of language takes us further from what we need ... truth.

My uncle sent me a link to a video by Dinesh D'Souza. In his email (to someone else), my uncle speculated that I wouldn't watch it, considering my liberal views. Well, I did watch it. I couldn't pass up the challenge, right? But I also was interested in what I might learn about Obama.

(And don't forget I went to Northwood University, where my education was marinated in free market, laissez faire, capitalist philosophy!)

I may have a liberal bent but I'm not as closed minded as I fear my uncle believes.

Except, maybe I am. Because when I see stuff like this video, I do close up. D'Souza said a lot of negative things about President Obama. Big surprise! But he didn't substantiate any of it with any facts ... or even statistics, as far as I could tell. He also didn't state that this was his opinion, his conclusion, his belief. He made statements and they sat there like facts.

For people who believe Obama needs to go, this video gives them more ammunition. But I don't believe it gives them more reason.

To see for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/v/Z6QOscKvUjU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage

And here's a critique of a D'Souza article where he states similar views as in the video: http://secularright.org/SR/wordpress/2010/09/27/dinesh-dsouzas-poison/


I don't think Obama is a perfect President. He and his administration have not come up with perfect answers, that's for certain. And I don't think Romney is a Republican abomination (or at least he wasn't until he started to try to appease the Tea Party). I am interested in learning about both of them in order to make my decision in November.

But I fear I won't learn anything from pundits who use their opinions to ignite our fears, biases and nascent beliefs. And who choose to ignore the power of facts because it is harder. Or who use one fact to create a complete journey of opinion.

Fact: Obama's father was born in Africa and he made an anticolonialist statement
Journey: Obama is anti-American with a deep desire to recreate America as a socialist state

Fact: Romney was co-founder of private investement firm Bain Capital
Jouney: Romney only cares for big corporations and the rich and has a deep desire to protect the wealthy at the expense of the poor and middle class

And I can't trust the candidates themselves to enlighten me.

I'm on my own. And I will try to make my decision based on the facts I can find. But as soon as I see words loaded with emotion and prejudice like "socialist" or "1 percenter," I will close my ears and my mind. Only then can I keep my integrity intact.







No comments:

Post a Comment