Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hello from Sunny Michigan


From Guest Writer MCG
Photo by CAG


Yes, that is me in a Corvette Grand Sport Convertible. And yes, it is February. When I signed up to get a Corvette for the last week of February, I naively thought that the weather would be fine.

So I found myself at the vehicle office eagerly awaiting the keys to a Corvette on the morning after the worst snowfall of the year (10” of fluffy fun). “The Corvette you signed up for has not been returned,” said the nice vehicle office lady. I had expected that to be the case since no person in their right mind would be driving a Corvette in this weather. “You SURE you want a Corvette?” she asked. “Do you have another one?” I asked hopefully. “Have a seat,” she said as she walked away. I was sure that I would be driving my ’98 Delta 88 back home. A few minutes later she came back with a fob for what is basically a race car. “Are you SURE?” she checked one last time. “Yeah,” I managed to say. My brain was already full of visions of flying around corners and accelerating like a rocket ship.

I drove my 88 into a snow bank near where the Grand Sport was parked, or rather buried in a blanket of snow. (Hibernating, I think.) The man from the vehicle office who helped me dig it out shook his head. I was oblivious. I couldn't wait to spend some time with this pinnacle of engineering. As soon as I got the car out on the snow-covered road, the little voice in my head kept saying – louder and louder with each slippery, slushy mile – “This is the DUMBEST thing I’ve ever done.”

Well, maybe the second dumbest. Exactly 21 years ago I drove from my apartment in Utica to Midland in a blizzard to visit someone who I really wanted to spend some time with. I passed two 100-car pileups on the way there. Two hours of white-knuckle fishtailing driving to see MBG for the day (our first date). It was the best day of my life. I am so glad I was so dumb that day (and careful). Of, course I stupidly drove back home through the blizzard that evening. “Are you SURE you won’t stay at my parents’ house?” Turned out there has been plenty of time to get to know them. They are wonderful, by the way. If my time with the Grand Sport is 1/100th as amazing as the last 21 years with MBG, then it will be a great week.

Bro, I know that the car is covered with crud, but I will be hand washing it (probably in freezing weather) before I turn it in.

1 comment: