Inspired by and written quickly during break at her volunteer job as a counselor-in-training (CIT) at summer day camp.
CITs hover like vultures by half-empty tables waiting,
Because the sooner they start cleaning, the sooner they can execute their grand schemes for 45 minutes of free time.
The last lunch stragglers leave their places, encouraged by our anxious faces watching for them to finish.
A rhythm is built up to the clang of of folding tables
Accompanied by the buzz of gossip that just can't wait until the break.
I clean up the sixth Popsicle spill and find myself humming a Taylor Swift song that I didn't know two days ago
But I know it now thanks to little girls and Karaoke.
The last table slides into place, spurring a quiet scramble not to end up holding a dust pan.
The rest try to look busy, to avoid being directed one way or the other, by our supervisor.
If you ask me, those girls are not putting up a great act.
But no one asked me.
One more minute of forgotten announcements and simple reminders that fall on deaf ears.
And then they leave,
Slowly,
Trying not to show their enthusiasm for the fact that they can now throw cards at each other, and update their Facebook pages, and blast their music as loud as they want.
As long as no campers walk in to change their tags.
Human nature! I never understood why people work so hard to avoid work. Sometimes just getting it done is easier :)
ReplyDelete