Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Time and the Living Is ... ?

Hey there! I hope your summer is going well so far. And that you've been keeping cool. A heat wave is covering the country; and it's definitely washed to Michigan this week!

I haven't had much time to add to my blog. And I really didn't have anything to say I thought blog- and time-worthy. Mostly I've just been keeping up with life. (And working every extra minute to finish a cross-stitch for my neighbor who is expecting a baby in August.)

Our summer so far:
  • CAG volunteering/working at summer day camp
  • CAG taking driver's ed
  • GJG and GMG going to summer day camp for two weeks
  • GJG and GMG starting swimming lessons
  • 4th of July week at the cottage
  • MCG, GJG and GMG walking the 3-mile walk at the National Cherry Festival
  • Neighbor kids coming over to play whenever they're home
  • LOTS and LOTS of together time

Summer observations:
  • Who drives the most when your kid takes driver's ed? Hint: NOT the kid!! I feel like I should earn a honorary driving doctorate for all the to-ing and fro-ing I drove
  • Summer day camp = quicker-to-sleep nights
  • 4th of July week at the cottage 2011 is WAY less kid- and energy-filled than 4th of July week at the cottage 2001
  • Extra home time does NOT = more clean up home time
  • MCG can pull two 8-year-olds in a wagon 3 miles
  • There is such a thing as having kids around too much

Yes. I now understand the commercial where the parents are dancing and smiling as they prepare for back-to-school while the Christmas carol "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!" is playing. Constant kids wear on me after a while.

It's not so much the continual activity I mind. Or the noise. Or the mess. Or the every day neighbor visits. Or the driving, driving, driving. Or the video games ad nauseam. Or running the dishwasher daily (which means emptying it daily). Or the mess (twice? I guess I do sort of mind after a bit).

I find I don't even mind hearing the same thing over and over when GJG and GMG discover something funny. Nor discussions that evolve from their over and over renditions. Like this one they had in the car recently (no lie!):

GJG: It's "if you're happy and you know it, poop your pants."
GMG: You can say "if you're happy and you know it, poop IN your pants."
GJG: No. "Poop IN your pants" doesn't fit the rhythm of the music.
GMG: It does if you say it really fast. Like this "if you're happy and you know it, poopin your pants."
GJG: I think it's better just "poop your pants."

I'm not so worn that I can't still find the fun and funny in THAT!

What gets to me is sibling co-existance where it quickly becomes clear that none of them WANT the other two to exist at all! The yelling, whining, name-calling, pushing, poking, etc. that inevitably leads to crying MAKE ME CRAZY!

I can see where it's all going to end up. Why can't THEY?! And why is it always like spontaneous combustion ... all seems fine and then BOOM!!?

If I had a transporter like in Star Trek, there are times I would SO go to Vulcan or, more likely, Hawaii ALONE.

I'm not yet crossing the days off the calendar until school starts (it's 41 days). But I have counted the hours until MCG gets home from work. (Kinda like the days when GMG and GJG were infants.)

And when I sit back to think and write about it, I'm so glad I have this time with them. They grow so quickly, each day is a treasure. I instantly realize how much I truly love them! But I would enjoy the treasure so much more if it came with 100% sibling harmony!






1 comment: