Friday, January 6, 2012

Resolution ABCs







WARNING: This is me whining. Already? I know! 2012 is off to a great start.


So, like lots of other Americans, I decided I was going to get back to an exercise routine in 2012. For a couple of years now, I haven't been able to create a workable routine for working out. Kids, freelance, parents, illness ... all have made it hard for me to exercise regularly.


Not that I like to exercise. I don't. Which makes any excuse to not exercise a good one. I'm more of a "give me a couch, a book and a cup of tea, and I'm a happy camper" girl. I could live like that forever. Or maybe not. That's the issue.


I guess I like the benefits of exercise, whatever they are. It's also nice to get out and talk to other people for a bit. And, I do like the feeling when I'm done ... that I actually did it and survived.


But I'm not one of those people who get antsy or anxious or actually MISS exercising when I don't get out and get sweaty. Like I said: couch, book, content.


Helpfully, there's lots of stuff on TV right now about how to keep to your goals. Just the other day I saw Dr. Oz on the Today Show sharing his "ABCs" for keeping resolutions. Here they are:


A - Write it down

B - Declare it publicly

C - Change your environment to help

D - Track your progress


Sound good? If they help you, wonderful! For me it seems like they only work in another world, not mine. I'll get to that in a second.


First, I have a lot of problems with Dr. Oz calling his stuff the ABCs of Resolutions. Here are my ABCs of why:


A - The A, B and C are really just alphabet-shaped bullets for the PowerPoint. They don't provide any mnemonic or other help to support the points. In fact, I had to go to the website to get all four points again because I couldn't remember the 4th one at all.

B - There are FOUR points. It's the ABCs ... either have 3 (ABC) or 26. Going to D makes no sense!


See ... isn't just weird that I stopped at B for my ABCs? And besides, I think he really needed an E-shaped bullet, too. The true purpose of my post.


E - Have a life that doesn't include anyone else's needs.


Because in my life, others' needs definitely come before my exercise. And my work, too, many times.


My first week in the new year went like this:

1/1/12 - New Year's Day - not gonna exercise today, I'm lazy and not crazy!


1/2/12 - Last day of vacation - "exercise" getting kids and husband ready to go back to school and work. A workout but not especially beneficial for me.


1/3/12 - Plan on afternoon class. No way! Kids are so tired after first day back that they will kill each other if left alone together. Seriously. Besides, CAG is in full stress mode about registering for ACT and SAT after hearing her overachieving classmates talking at school.


1/4/12 - Go to 8:30 class - Actually make it even though I hate morning exercise. Come out of class to find four voice mails waiting for me on my cell. CAG is sick and needs to be picked up from school. Sheesh! There's my benefit for exercising: missing my daughter's call for help (which never happens) as she experiences her first migraine and is completely freaked out. Oh yeah, got a call for a freelance job just as CAG starts throwing up. There's no time to meet the deadline, so can't do the work.


1/5/12 - Had decided on an alternate day schedule to start, but maybe hit afternoon class? No, call from school, GJG is throwing up and needs to be picked up from school. Can't leave him alone with a bowl and the cat.


1/6/12 - No chance in morning, GJG home sick. Afternoon? Out. After school, MCG taking GMG to class ice skating event, with CAG tagging along.


Routine? Maybe when my nest is empty.

Plan? It's a darn four-letter word.

Exercise? Only in frustration, I guess.

Me? Resolute about trying, though!


(Hey! I think I just met 50% of Dr. Oz's ABCs. I wrote it down and I declared it publicly. Wow! Maybe it's not a complete loss. Thanks for helping me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment