Guest blogger MCG
I had the opportunity to drive a Chevrolet Volt from Monday afternoon to Friday morning
Full disclosure:
I work for GM (testing a computer module that is on the Volt) and I love my job
The car was provided free of charge (pun intended - I charged it after I picked it up)
GM has 240V charging stations available for charging during the day (full charge in 3 hours)
The car was fully charged overnight in my garage (standard 110 V outlet- it took approx. 10 hours so I put it to bed by 9 pm each night)
I caught hyper miler fever (meaning I became obsessed with achieving maximum efficiency)
I drove approx. 100 miles a day (my normal mileage)
The result?
Drum roll please... In 402 miles I used 3.2 gallons of (premium) gas
Or a little over 125 miles per gallon
One last thing - Volt lease for $349 a month (sorry, I just had to do that)
Awesome. How much does that 10 hours of charging equate to in cost per day? $2/day? That's where GM gets ya....
ReplyDeleteThat is correct. So basically, instead of a gallon of gas at $3.30 you travel that mileage on $2.00 of electricity. Since I could charge at work (no charge for that... Yet), it doubled the savings. Also if you have a 240V charger at your house (additional $) and the full charge takes only 3 hours, then our software can download the electrical rates and then you specify your departure time and it will automatically charge at the lowest possible rates.
Delete