Friday, December 31, 2010

Giftedness


Happy 2011!



Just in case you were wondering from my last post, I did not get a can of soup for Christmas. (It was a sugar/spice shaker in a suspiciously soupish shape.) However, among the lovely gifts I DID get were three unexpected treats:

1. Christmas Letters
After writing about mixed feelings concerning The Annual Christmas Letter, we received a few poignant, heart-felt and true life letters from friends and family.

Especially lovely was my Uncle's letter concerning the death of my Aunt, his wife, last spring. His love for her and his description of how he misses her in big and small ways touched my heart with a soft but vivid recognition: Life without MCG would be less ... period.

Truth is I am so thankful for the cards and news-filled letters that filled the mailbox this season.

2. Christmas Sans Santa
Turns out, even when the "truth" is known, Santa comes anyway! I was extremely pleased with the way all three kids continued our family Santa ... to the point of asking what cookies we'd like them to leave out for us ... uh ... Santa to enjoy. There's a simple and delicious delight in letting yourself be delighted.

3. Gift for My Heart
A concern I didn't expect came on Christmas Eve from CAG. She realized that I didn't have any gifts that I didn't know about. All were either purchased by me or with me ... no surprises. So she gathered her siblings, dad and money, and took off for a Christmas Eve shopping trip. And I was surprised on Christmas morning with a box of Godiva Chocolates ... that I don't have to share!


No comments:

Post a Comment