My mom sent her own memory about her first trip to the library in Chicago. Then I thought, let's include my daughter's impressions about libraries/books too. Three generations ('30s, '70s, '90s) of family reading love. Hope you enjoy!
My Mom
As you know, we were Depression-minded when I was little, and I remember it seemed like I couldn't have all the things I would've liked. Then came my first trip to the library.
I can't remember who took me. But I do remember being amazed by it. I couldn't imagine that there were all those books. And I could read them all FOR FREE! It was beyond my comprehension that there could be such a wonderful thing as our library, which was in an impressive building (or at least it seemed that way to me).
I was allowed to look around the children's room and take home several books to read. Right then I determined that I would read every book there ... and I think I did.
My Daughter
I remember coming back from the library with a bag so full of books that we could hardly lift it. Along with the bag, we had a LONG receipt that was taller than I was. I just took it for granted that I would always be surrounded by books from the library. In fact, I was SHOCKED in 7th grade when one of my friends told me she didn't read books! I found it hard to imagine that anyone wouldn't want to read for fun.
Right now, I picked up one of the books my mom checked out (The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements). And I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series because I'm sharing them with my little brother and sister.
Awesome. I remember spending hour upon delightful hour in the children's room at Hoyt Library in Saginaw. It was a magical place to me. And to take home a tower of library books ... joy!
ReplyDeleteI think that I finally learned to love the library in college! Believe it or not, I don't think that I went as a kid. Just the school library.
ReplyDeleteMy mom took me and my brother to libraries from a very early age (even before she started volunteering). I remember doing summer reading projects and contests, but most of all I remember learning how to use floppy disks (the actual floppy ones) to play games on the old computers they had there. I have always enjoyed libraries, and having visited some of the best ones in the world it still tickles me when I get to go to a new one. They don't make them like those old Gothic wonderlands, with steep narrow windows and wooden bookshelves lining up and down the walls. In the new Duke library, it is a wonderful place to come, relax, get work done, and collaborate, but I still enjoy finding new, old-fashioned libraries that have more turns than tables. They are also fun places to work: I recommend volunteering at a local library if you have the time.
ReplyDeleteMG's sister shared her thoughts: When living in Flint, I remember library books being a fond memory, Dr. Seuss books comes to mind. My kids made many trips with me to the Library.
ReplyDeleteDad and I were discussing libraries this past week. I now find myself reading books on my phone, in spare moments. But nothing replaces the opening of a book and smelling the pages. Hope our children will always have the same opportunity!