Friday, November 19, 2010

Crafting Life







You might remember my lament a couple of years ago about making homemade, Martha Stewart original Valentines for G&G's classes. It all turned out in the end.
But the homey, crafty idea of creating was FAR from the reality of producing 30 little Valentines. Does "hitting your head against the wall" give you a feeling for the activity?

I learned my lesson? HA!

Last weekend I decided to make a gift for a good friend. (The only kind I'm brave enough to make a gift for!) I'm not using a pattern, just winging it based on something I saw. And doing it over and over and over.

"Head. Meet wall." sums it up pretty well.

So, in order to gain something more than frustration and wasted time ripping everything out (a few times!), I realized there's something to learn in my craft (-challenged) dreams.


10 Things Cross-stich, Valentines, Halloween Costumes and Other Crafts Have Taught Me About Life

1. When you see people creating it on TV, know that it won't be as easy, neat or simple. But that doesn't mean yours isn't as good ... just different.

2. Life can be lovely and clear even if what's behind it all is a little messy, disorganized and sometimes unrecognizable.

3. The fragile things in life, like embroidery floss and trust, can only be tugged and tested a few times before they fray and break.

4. Directions and patterns help ... a lot! But there's also a lot of satisfaction in creating something of your own.

5. Ask for help when you're stuck. People are happy to share their secrets to making it work.

6. Spouses, family and friends can make it all soooo much easier ... most of the time.

6-1/2. Don't count on your cat to help by staying out of your way. But he will be CUTE.

7. There are some things that need to be fixed and others that are just fine as is. Deciding which is which can be tricky though.

8. The fun part is actually the doing, not the finished product.

9. But there's a lot of satisfaction in sharing your finished projects.
10. Family and friends appreciate the effort. So it's worth making the effort when you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment