Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Guy Who Played Anakin?

I've read and heard a lot about happiness lately. New year's stuff, I guess. Quite a bit focuses on adding up the little good things to realize happiness. That, naturally, made me think about little things that make me happy.

I had to smile at the first thing that came to mind: I really like it when the kids call for "Daddy!" instead of "Mom!" in the middle of the night, especially if tinkle or throw up is involved.

So, I agree that the littles do add up to happiness. However, sometimes there are biggers that make happiness just sparkle. Like my conversation with CAG earlier today.



Let me back up a bit; but I don't want to take too long. So here's the pertinent pre-conversation that occurred as I dropped GMG off a school this morning ... already in progress ...

The Mom: Remember, Honey, the actor who played Anakin? What was his name?
Daughter: I don't know.
Me: Hayden Christensen. Sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop.
The Mom: No, that's o.k. I had Christensen, but couldn't remember the first name.
Me: It's not that common. I can understand.
The Mom: Yes. He and the realtor stopped at our house in Jamaica a couple of years ago. They wanted to see what kind of houses could be built.

Not a typical, every day conversation ... at least not for me. So I shared it with CAG for both it's uniqueness and the Star Wars actor reference. She said, after a bit, "That's what makes our school tough sometimes." And we talked about how she felt when she realized some of her classmates are very wealthy and live in a different "world" than we do.

Me: Is it hard?
CAG: Yes, at times, when I was younger. Like when I saw toys I knew I couldn't have, like all the American Girl doll stuff [with a shrug and smile that humorously pointed to my previous blog] and the huge Playmobil castle.
Me: Yeah.
CAG: But now I'm older and I can appreciate the things I have that other kids don't.

She paused. I waited to hear what in the heck she could possibly have that her classmates didn't. And then the happiness sparkled.

CAG: Like a good relationship with my parents, who I can talk to. And a little brother and sister who don't absolutely hate me. And studying skills that help make school not too hard for me. And that, when we do take a vacation, it's something new and exciting.

Thanks, Hayden Christensen. You're a world away from me (but just might be in GMG's classmate's living room even as we read). Yet you and CAG helped me find a big gulp of happiness and serious pride today.

No comments:

Post a Comment