Along with Anakin's hair, we found many other Star Wars Lego guys including their hair, bodies and light sabers. And lots and lots of Lego pieces of all shapes and sizes. Not surprisingly, after the big organization, the kids discovered it was MUCH easier to find the Lego pieces they wanted.
What I loved is how FINDING pieces became inspiration for CREATING an extremely cool Lego world. As well as the stories that came along with the world. Check out the photos above.*
I can't tell you how it all started ... I wasn't part of the kids' vision and discussion. But I can tell you that they worked TOGETHER -- planning and visualizing -- to make their idea happen. And even cooler, they ENJOYED each other and appreciated each other's creations. A spontaneous, free-form, bonded family activity that I want to remember FOREVER!
They decided to create a Lego house for all the Star Wars Lego characters (and we have lots of guys). The different rooms were divided up, so each kid built 2-3 rooms on their own. And each room had a story. Then, the rooms were all put together to make a house. Cute doesn't even start to describe what they created.
A few highlights:
Kitchen. CAG's kitchen was an amazing model of perfection with fridge and oven that opened and burners on the stove. Food Network stars could only dream of such a thoughtful and efficient design. Chewbacca, who was doing the cooking that day, certainly appreciated it.
Dining Room. GMG's room, complete with plates on the table, was the setting for the Skywalker family reunion. She brought Anakin, Padme, Luke and Leah together for the first time ever! George Lucas, take note.
Entertainment Room. GJG's room gave Darth Vader a place to be his ornery, bossy self, arguing over what was playing on the big screen TV. Even bad guys need to feel heard when it comes to entertainment.
They also built a bedroom, guest room, bathroom and garden. Our Star Wars guys have a more elaborate house than we do!
To take it over the top, the kids also found a use for a bunch of fairly useless Lego magnets. By incorporating the magnets, they were able to attach/ detach/ rearrange/ re-attach the rooms to their metal bunk beds. Creative. Flexible. Removable. Ingenious!!
I can honestly say my kids have boldly taken Legos where I could never have imagined. I just adore the fruit of their creativity! That's why I'm lovin' the Legos!
*In the spirit of full disclosure, these photos are NOT the Lego rooms the 3 kids created at Christmas. (I was too lazy to get the actual photos from camera to computer to here.) These photos are of rooms that CAG created on her own, and have been modified (NOT to her approval) by GMG and GJG. But they are close enough to be accurate illustrations.
Love the disclaimer! Also, love that your kids were enjoying each other!
ReplyDelete