Monday, January 31, 2011

Hai-choo


I've got two freelance projects to work on right now. Which is a good thing for me but adds more complexity to -- and less me-writing time in -- my schedule. Since I haven't had to triple-dip my time (kids, blog AND work) before, I'm not sure what this will mean to my post regularity. I'm sure you won't suffer too much if I'm not quite so prolific. :)

Remember! If you don't hear from me as often, do not fear! I am still here and thinking of more blah-blah-blah to share with you.


Like my attempts at Haiku.

I don't think I've written Haiku since, like, junior high school. And I know enough about Haiku to realize these don't quite fit the bill. Besides its 5-7-5 syllable scheme, Haiku usually focuses on nature, and targets elegance of thought with lightness of words. I've got the 5-7-5.

I was inspired with Haiku last night. In the middle of the night. GJG stumbled into the bedroom at 2:00 a.m., more sleepwalking than awake. I was too tired to usher him back to his bed so I let him crawl in with us.

At about 4:00 a.m., he was sideways in the bed with feet against my gut. I looked at him in the dark (mostly a mind picture because it WAS dark and I didn't have my glasses on) realizing he was taking up half the bed. Instead of pushing him out with each twitch that "oofed" me, I turned to poetry to help me remember this fleeting moment.

GJG
Little boy asleep
Eyelash fans lay on his cheeks.
Our son rises soon.

And he did rise right after my poem formed ... I made MCG carry him back to bed. (Don't feel sorry for MCG!! HE didn't have 10-toes-a-waking for 2 hours! O.k. If you must, send a little pity of his way since he did have to emerge from the 3-people-1-cat-warm bed.)

Writing about this now, I think I missed an opportunity to be much funnier (or snarkier) in my poetry. But that's what 4:00 a.m. sleepiness will do!

In order to be fair, I wrote a Haiku for the other one on the way to dropping them off at school.

GMG
Blond, blue shines on you,
Inside your true gift resides
Jelly bean spirit.

Please wish me luck with my projects. I have a mix of thankfulness for the opportunities, excitement about learning new stuff and concern that I don't disappoint anyone! Typical. Of. Me.

Thanks for letting me share my days and thoughts and kids and Hai-choo. Bless You!







2 comments:

  1. 1 - I should create a bed to take my dogs back too as they push me out of bed 2 - you won't disappoint anyone I know :) 3 - love your way to remember the moment

    ReplyDelete