Sunday, January 23, 2011

Holey Break

Have you missed me? I've missed writing. I have a couple of ideas bouncing around my brain of things I want to share. But I took a little break. A knitting break. Yes, I'm back to my craft (-challenged) dreams for a good cause.

When I was on bed rest during my pregnancy with the twins, CAG taught me to knit. She was learning in school. I would sit and knit, sit and knit. I didn't make anything. Or at least nothing more useful than knitting away the hours. Once GJG and GMG arrived, the knitting was set aside ... and forgotten.

Now GJG is learning to knit (same age, same grade and same teachers as CAG). With his able instruction (and a little help from my mom), I've refreshed my skills, such as they are.

My goal is to knit a 12" x 12" square. When I'm finished, I will take it to the kids' school where it will join a bunch of other squares to make blankets for donation to various organizations. I like both the cause and the scope. I think it may be a project I can actually do.

IF, that is, I can evolve my talent for knitting holes. Apparently, I'm a genius in the Swiss cheese stitch. I've unraveled my square once already. Thanks to three dropped stitches that I didn't notice until I was too far beyond to fix them. This is my second attempt (pictured above).

I think I'm at 12" x 4" right now. Only 8 more inches to go. Holey synthetic worsted yarn, Batman!

No comments:

Post a Comment